Download Full Text (3.6 MB)
The U.S.S. Oglethorpe (AKA-1 00), was built by the Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey, for the U. S. Maritime Service, and converted to the U. S. Naval Service under current emergency war acts. The keel of the vessel was laid on December 26, 1944, and the ship was launched April 15, 1945. Mrs. Ellsworth Buck·, wife of Representative Buck of New York, sponsored the ship at launching. The ship is named for Oglethorpe County, Georgia, which in turn, was named in honor of James Oglethorpe, founder of the State of Georgia. The vessel was completed on June 4, 1945, made its trial runs on 4 and 5 June, 1945, was accepted by the U. S. Navy on June 5, 1945, and commissioned for duty on June 6, 1945, at Pier "J", Berth 15, U. S. Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York. The ship's company was on board at the time of commissioning.
United States Navy, World War 1939-1945, Regimental Histories, USS Oglethorpe, AKA-100
United States Navy, "Log of the U.S.S. Oglethorpe" (1946). World War Regimental Histories. 209.
No Copyright - Other Known Legal Restrictions. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-OKLR/1.0/
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights. In one or more jurisdictions, laws other than copyright are known to impose restrictions on the use of this Item. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.