Download Full Text (2.9 MB)
The U.S.S. Westmoreland (APA 104) was commissioned a Navy vessel by Captain H. V. McKittrick, USN, representing the Commandant Third Naval District, at Hoboken, New Jersey, on 18 January 1945. Captain James "M" Hicks, USN, assumed command.
The Westmoreland was named for the counties of that name in the States of Pennsylvania and Virginia. The latter county is the birthplace of George Washington and Robert E. Lee.
The keel of the Westmoreland was laid on 7 December 1943 at Pascagoula, Mississippi, where she was built by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp. for the U. S. Maritime Commission. After construction was completed, she was sent to Todd Shipyards, Hoboken, New Jersey, where she was converted to an APA (Auxiliary Transport-Attack) .
United States Navy, World War 1939-1945, Regimental Histories, U.S.S. Westmoreland, APA 104
United States Navy, "U.S.S. Westmoreland (APA 104)" (1946). World War Regimental Histories. 203.
No Copyright - Other Known Legal Restrictions. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-OKLR/1.0/
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights. In one or more jurisdictions, laws other than copyright are known to impose restrictions on the use of this Item. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.