Download Full Text (6.7 MB)
From U.S.S. Herald of the Morning Log
The U.S.S. Herald of the Morning built for the Maritime Commission as a C-2 cargo ship, and converted by the Navy into a medium-sized transport, spent most of her time as a Naval auxiliary in Pacific theatre amphibious operations during the war. This ship engaged in five amphibious operations, several re-enforcement runs into forward areas and was under enemy attack frequently but successfully eluded damage. Since the cessation of hostilities the Herald operated as part of the "Magic Carpet" and the Naval Transportation Service, evacuating Army and Navy personnel from the Pacific areas and carrying replacements to forward stations.
Built by the Moore Drydock and Shipbuilding Company of Oakland, Calif., in the summer of 1943, she was named for the American sailing ship "Herald of the Morning" which was famous on both oceans in the second half of the 19th century as a fast and beautiful medium clipper. The new Herald made one trip to the Hawaiian Islands as a merchant cargo vessel before being taken over early in 1944 by the Navy for conversion into an auxiliary transport.
United States Navy, World War 1939-1945, Regimental Histories, U.S.S. Herald of the Morning, AP-173, transport ship
United States Navy, "U.S.S. Herald of the Morning (AP-173)" (1946). Regimental Histories. 142.
No Copyright - Other Known Legal Restrictions. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-OKLR/1.0/
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights. In one or more jurisdictions, laws other than copyright are known to impose restrictions on the use of this Item. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.