Download Full Text (19.6 MB)
This is the story of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban -- "The Finest Electric Railroad in All New England" -- which connected Maine's largest city and major seaport, Portland, with the Twin Cities of Lewiston and Auburn and served the intermediate communities of West Falmouth, West Cumberland, Gray and New Gloucester from 1914 to 1933.
Owned by the Androscoggin Electric Company, which became a unit of the Central Maine Power system in 1920, the Interurban operated almost entirely over private right of way from the Deering section of Portland to the outskirts of Auburn and provided the best in passenger and freight transportation for almost two decades. Its 30-mile single track line was of substantial construction - as well built as many steam railroads - and its rolling stock was produced by some of the nation's leading car builders. Modern methods of power generation and distribution were employed; operations were conducted in a careful and efficient manner, and the road was properly maintained almost to the end.
New England Electric Railway Historical Society
Manchester, New Hampshire
Portland-Lewiston Interurban Railroad, railway history Maine, railway history, railroad history Maine, railroad history, Portland Maine, Lewiston Maine
Cummings, Osmond Richard and New England Electric Railway Historical Society, "Portland-Lewiston Interurban: Maine's Fast Electric Railroad" (1967). Maine Railroad Publications. 38.
No Copyright - Other Known Legal Restrictions. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-OKLR/1.0/
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights. In one or more jurisdictions, laws other than copyright are known to impose restrictions on the use of this Item. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.