Download Full Text (9.7 MB)
One of Maine's last six electric railways was the Waterville, Fairfield & Oakland Railway which, from 1911 to 1937, connected the city of Waterville with the neighboring towns of Fairfield and Oakland. Owned by the Central Maine Power Company, it was one of three traction properties of that corporation, the others being the Portland-Lewiston Interurban and the Rockland, Thomaston & Camden Street Railway.
Formed through a consolidation of the Waterville & Fairfield Railroad Company, which started as a horse car line in 1888, and the Waterville & Oakland Street Railway Company, which began operation in 1903, it was primarily a passenger carrier throughout its existence, although for a number of years it did provide terminal facilities for the freight and express service operated by the connecting Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway Company and later the Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway.
Connecticut Valley Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
Warehouse Point, Connecticut
Waterville, Fairfield & Oakland Railway Company, Central Maine Power Company, Waterville & Fairfield Railroad Company, railroad history, railroad history Maine, Waterville Maine, Fairfield Maine, Oakland Maine
Cummings, Osmond Richard and Connecticut Valley Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, "Waterville, Fairfield & Oakland Railway Company" (1965). Maine Railroad Publications. 36.