Download Full Text (15.9 MB)
The 4060th Air Refueling Wing, Medium was organized at Dow Air Force Base on 8 March 1955, thus becoming one of the first Air Refueling Wings in the history of the United States Air Force. The wing is assigned the 506th Air Refueling Squadron, equipped with KB-29 type aircraft and is combat ready; the 7lst Air Refueling Squadron, which is being equipped with KC-97G type aircraft the first of which arrived at Dow Air Force Base on 9 April 1955; the 4060th Armament and Electronic Maintenance Squadron; the 4060th Periodic Maintenance Squadron and the 4060th Field Maintenance Squadrono
The 4060th Air Base Group was organized at Dow Air Force Base on 8 March 1955 and assigned to the 4060th Air Refueling Wing. Personnel assigned to the 506th Air Base Group, which was inactivated 8 March 1955, were used in manning the Group.
The 4033rd USAF Hospital and the 33rd Crash Boat Rescue Flight at Southwest Harbor, Maine, were assigned the 4060th Air Refueling Wing on 8 March 1955.
Dow Air Force Base
Dow Field, Dow Air Force Base, Dow AFB, Bangor Maine, 8th Air Force, 43rd Bombardment Group, Strategic Air Command, 4060th Air Refueling Wing, 101st Air Refueling Wing, Maineiacs
Dow Air Force Base, "Welcome to Dow Air Force Base 1955" (1955). Dow Books. 5.