Download Full Text (33.5 MB)
"The Eastern Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers was established by act of Congress approved March 21st, 1866, on what was then known as the Togus Springs Estate, and the first member was admitted October 6th, 1866. It is located five miles to the eastward of the cities of Augusta, Hallowell and Gardiner; has an average membership of 2650 men; covers an area of 1894 acres, and is reached by the Lewiston, Augusta and Waterville Electric Railway from Augusta, and the Kennebec Central Railroad from Gardiner. Cost for land, buildings and permanent improvements, $704,596.89."
Booklet is almost exclusively photographs of the grounds circa (presumably) 1909. Photographs by Maine Farmer Publishing Company, Augusta, Maine.
Eastern Branch National Home of Disabled Volunteer Soldiers
Togus Veterans Affairs Hospital, Togus Maine, Augusta Maine
Eastern Branch National Home of Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, "National Soldiers' Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Togus, Maine" (1909). Books and Publications. 295.