Download Full Text (51.5 MB)
The Eastern Corporation owned paper mills in Brewer, Orono and Lincoln, Maine. The company began in the 1880s in Brewer as a sawmill, with a sulfite pulp mill built in 1889 to use waste products from the sawmill. In 1896, the company, now called the Eastern Manufacturing Company, began to make both chemical wood fiber and rag paper at the site, later changing the emphasis to the manufacture of fine business papers. In 1915 the company acquired the Katahdin Pulp and Paper Company in Lincoln and in 1930 purchased the Orono Pulp and Paper Company. In 1939 the company was reorganized as the Eastern Corporation, with executive offices in Bangor and sales offices in Boston, New York, Chicago and Atlanta. Eastern Corporation became the Eastern Fine Paper and Pulp Division of Standard Packaging Corporation in 1958. [Description courtesy Raymond H. Fogler Library, Special Collections, University of Maine].
Bangor Maine, Brewer Maine, Eastern Corporation, paper manufacturing, logging
Eastern Corporation, "Of Paper and People (A Story of the Eastern Corporation of Bangor, Maine)" (1946). Books and Publications. 264.
No Copyright - United States. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/
The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.