Download Full Text (701 KB)
On June 1, 1880, telephone exchange service was introduced in Bangor. The National Bell Telephone Company of the State of Maine with Charles S. Pearl as Manager established its offices in the old library building on State Street on the site where the Bangor Savings Bank is now located.
Although 46 subscribers had been furnished with telephone service prior to this, such service only provided a single connection with one of the other subscribers. Telephone poles were not considered necessary to this type service -- instead, connections were made to customer's premises by means of wires strung from house to house with the consent of the respective owners.
New England Telephone and Telegraph Company
Bangor Maine, telephone history, telephone history of Bangor Maine
New England Telephone and Telegraph Company, "The Story of the Telephone in Bangor" (1954). Books and Publications. 201.
No Copyright - United States. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/
The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.