The European and North American Company was chartered by the State August 20, 1850. In 1855 the railroad acquired tracks from the Penobscot Railroad Company (chartered in 1851) and right of way between Bangor and Milford that they had acquired from the Bangor and Orono Railroad (chartered in 1847). In 1863 the railroad issued bonds and raised enough capital to extend the line to Vanceboro, on the Canadian border, and connect with the New Brunswick European and North American Railroad. The first section opened in 1868 to Olemon, then to Mattawamkeag in 1869, then to Vanceboro in 1871.
The official opening was held on October, 1871 with President Grant, Lord Lisgar, Governor General of Canada, Maine’s Governor, and many other dignitaries attending.