Download Full Text (24.6 MB)
Jacob Buswell came to Bangor in 1769, and settled on the banks of the Penobscot River, near the foot of what is now Newbury Street. Others from Massachusetts and elsewhere soon followed him.
The settlement was originally called and written Condeskeag. Later, when it became large enough to be incorporated, its name was Sunbury; but in 1791 an act of incorporation was obtained, and the town was named Bangor, from an old psalm-tune popular at that time.
For thirty years succeeding the advent of the first pioneer, few people came to this locality, -- there being but 277 inhabitants in 1800; in 1830 there were but 2,868.
In 1834 Bangor was incorporated a city. At present (1882) its population is about 20,000; but being the shire-town of Penobscot County, centrally located at the head of navigation on the Penobscot River, and the headquarters of a large lumber business, it gives the impression of being much more populous. Surrounded as it is by numerous small towns and a large agricultural district, it is a trade-centre of no little importance.
James R. Osgood and Company
Bangor Maine, 19th century history, 19th century photographs, lumber history, Penobscot River
Godfrey, George F., "A Sketch of Bangor" (1882). Books and Publications. 273.
No Copyright - United States. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/
The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.